Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sakartvelo 5/27/10

Maia I have just completed the first AVP workshop to take place in the Republic of Georgia in more than eight years. This was a mixed gender workshop which, in this culture proved to be very difficult. The woman's place is taking care of her husband and her children and to be obedient. There were a couple of men in the workshop who were very gracious and courtly in their behavior and also, without realizing it, quite belittling. I feel that I need to provide balance between one facilitator who immediately falls into the Georgian woman's role and another who is a strong feminist and would like to see this change NOW. I think that sometimes it is hard, when we want something so badly for someone else, to accept that they are the ones who must determine what is right and wrong themselves. They are the ones who must want the change before they can move toward change. Nonetheless, we do have several good prospects in this group to invite to be trained as AVP facilitators. Things in Sakartvelo have changed for the better since my last visit in the winter of 2009. I can see that some buildings have been painted and some roads paved. The parking lot at the airport no longer has gaping holes. In some places I can see and hear new construction. At the same time some of the big building that were started ground to a halt during the financial crisis. Many of those have not recommenced building since there are no more funds available. On my last visit here I was warned not to go out alone. Now, it feels safe to walk on the street alone during the day, although I have been warned that I should not go out at night.   It is so clear that I am not from Sakartvelo! Women here almost always wear black slacks or black skirts and almost never wear blue jeans. Their blouses are usually dark colors with a sweater on even when it's really too warm for one. Men seem much freer to wear whatever colors they please! My skin is fairer and I am taller so it's really very easy to pick me out in the crowd! Tomorrow I will go sightseeing with Misha and Maia as well as trying to accomplish all of the household things that have been left undone. I'll buy a wash basin on the way home from the internet cafe so that I can wash my clothes, do some cleaning, and try to prepare for our next workshop. The next AVP workshop will begin on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week with an organization of refugee women. I am very much looking forward to working with them.

1 comment:

  1. The gender role issue seems like it might present a very challenging element to your work. It has me thinking about how Friends address issues of gender equality among those who have fundamentally different perspectives. The more I think about it, the more questions I have. That's a tough one.

    On a lighter note, I wonder how folks there might react to a plain-dressed female Friend. I could loan you one of my bonnets. ;-)

    ReplyDelete