Sunday, October 16, 2011

Theotokos

Theotokos is a word that has lived in some remote area of my mind for quite some time.  Long enough that I had forgotten it and it’s meaning until a Friend reminded me.  Theotokos: God-carrier.  I was further reminded me that this term applies to all humanity.  As Quakers this is part of our core belief – that there is that of God within each of us.  We say this easily; almost matter of factly without stopping to grasp the immense magnitude of what we are saying.

We are God-carriers.  What incredible trust the Divine has to allow we humans to carry even a bit of the precious Light within, knowing that some will not value that fact, some will not acknowledge it, some will simply not care, and some will do their best to extinguish it.  Yet, God is infinite in ways far beyond our understanding – infinitely wise, infinitely loving, all knowing but even these descriptions cannot describe that which beyond human ken: unknowable, unnamable, indescribable. 

There are tears in my eyes as I write – tears of wonderment, of joy, of humility, of unworthiness, of thanksgiving, of gratitude.  What could be more amazing?

No comments:

Post a Comment