Thursday, April 6, 2023

 


It's been a busy couple of days here in Tbilisi.  Tuesday was spent in Act forTransformation's office meeting and beginning to get to know the staff, Inga Shumagia, Alena Kemm, Anna who teaches Georgian language to volunteers and one of the volunteers, Maxim.  I worked to speak with someone at the US embassy to set up a meeting with them at the office so that there is an awareness of the work that Act for Transformation is doing in Georgia.  I also met with a representative from the Public Defender's office, Attorney Luka Kiliptari, who works specifically on issues of minority tolerance.  The Quaker worship group in Tbilisi works closely with him.   
 
Wednesday, Misha and I did a Zoom conference with  Ukrainian refugees who are hoping to get help to emigrate to the US.  While I consistently share that I have only minimal knowledge on this topic, it appears that the US has specific programs (The US Refugee Admissions Program or USRAP,  The Lautenberg Program, and Uniting for Ukraine).  Each of these programs has very high bars that refugees need to meet in order to be granted a two year visa.  I hear the deep yearning to be part of a functioning society, to be able to work, to be able to raise children without fear and I know that these families are so few among so many seeking to relocate. To know this from afar is one thing.  To be in the midst is something else.
   
Yesterday, Inga and I began a conversation around the possibilities of youth volunteers from Baltimore Yearly Meeting (BYM) and possibly from New York Yearly Meeting (NYYM) to work with Act for Transformation and also the possibility of an exchange for Georgian youth to come and do work in the peacemaking field in America.  We talked about an age range of eighteen to twenty-seven.  We talked about financing issues and what the work of volunteers might look like.  There is much work to be done in creating this opportunity!  I've committed to creating an initial proposal for us to work with.  Friends in BYM and NYYM, what say ye?  I will need your help to make this a reality!

The work of the Alternatives to Violence Project (AVP) in Georgia has once again faltered.  Not because the work isn't needed and not because the value is not recognized but because culturally facilitators still feel they need to be paid to feel valued.  This is such a struggle for me.  I know that the work of facilitating AVP needs to come from the heart and that when we begin to pay facilitators that they are no longer equal with the other participants.  I also know of the incredible impact that AVP has on lives.  My heart aches as I struggle with these two divergent paths.  Act for Transformation continues to move the work of AVP forward but often finds that they must pay at least a small stipend to facilitators.  One way they  have found forward is by creating another program called Fairtogether which is very similar to AVP but is just different enough.  Fairtogether is used with younger populations including in schools.  I feel excited to hear of this program and have been gifted with a facilitators manual.
 
This trip is very different from the last three in that I am much more on my own.  The flat where I am staying is a good distance from the Office.  The first day Maxim came to the apartment to walk me to the office.  After that, I've been pretty much on my own to make my way between the two.  The route is beginning to look familiar now but I'm still grateful to have good GPS in my phone!  The walk provides good time and space for conversations with Spirit, my constant companion.  Let my words be thy words.   Let my will be thy will.  Help me to be your Peace.
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment